Here's another classic puzzle that we've yet to look at.
The Twelve Days of Christmas" is a cumulative song, meaning that each verse is built on top of the previous verses. There are twelve verses, each describing a gift given by "my true love" on one of the twelve days of Christmas.
...and so forth, until the last verse:
- On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me..
- 12 Drummers Drumming
- 11 Pipers Piping
- 10 Lords-a-Leaping
- 9 Ladies Dancing
- 8 Maids-a-Milking
- 7 Swans-a-Swimming
- 6 Geese-a-Laying
- 5 Gold Rings
- 4 Colly Birds
- 3 French Hens
- 2 Turtle Doves
- And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.
- So, on the first day the true love gave 1 item (a Partridge in a Pear Tree). On the second day he gave 3 items (2 Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree), summing to 4 items in total!
- What is the total sum of all the gifts by the end of the twelfth day?
- Check the solutions for the correct answer.